Re: New module decisions for 2.22

Hi,

Brian Cameron wrote:
> Vincent/Others:
>
>>  + swfdec-gnome (desktop)
>>   => accept if it moves to the GNOME infrastructure
>>   => swfdec becomes a new external dependency
>
> Section 3a seems of the "Adobe SWF and FLV File Format Specification
> License Agreement" seems to be pretty clear that the specification
> does not allow additional client programs, players, etc. to use
> the format.

The question that comes to mind immediately for me is, "did anyone
developing swfdec agree to that licence agreement?"

> Are we really comfortable adding something into the official GNOME
> project that has known legal/licensing issues?

Personally, I am comfortable with including software which decodes third
party file formats. The same issue presented itself with gif, psd and
other formats for the GIMP and for GNOME, and we have always erred on
the side of providing the ability to our users to access their data.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary