Re: GNOME's testing strategy for GUIs

Hi Brad,

I got this mail from Willima Walker, maybe it is late reply. I am in Sun as the QE/RE manager for desktop team. My team has done lots of testing for gnome applications, actually we are finding ways how to do the automation testing.

The principle for automation tools we are using is that it is easy and can be helpful for our project testing quickly. For firefox Tinderbox testing, we are using LDTP for the nightly build check, becasue we can leverage LDTP community work on it. Recently mozilla community is using the Eggplant for their automation testing, we also evaluated and tried it. For the A11Y automation testing, we are using Orca for the automation work. For flash automation testing, we also try the ULLU tool developed by flash team.

For gnome automation testing, we have done one evalutaion comparison about dogtail vs LDTP, please see attachment file.

We don't include the strongwind in here, because we aren't familiar with it. :-) Please let us know your comments.

Because dogtail is integrated into Solaris and is easy for our automation development and maintaining, we preferred to use dogtail for gnome automation now. We have finished some automation works for gnome application sanity testing, it is running for our nightly build testing now. We are tracking the testing, maintaining these automation testing codes, and analyse our result and data.

Actually it is still in the evaluation and trial phase, we are collecting data about ROI for our automation work and decide how to do it. We hope to get more resource to do the automation development work, and especially hope to leverage resource from gnome community. I think this is very good start to discuss about this.

Thanks,
Paul.

Re: GNOME's testing strategy for GUIs