Re: GNOME's testing strategy for GUIs

Hi,

Some people mentioned buildbrigade on this thread, so I will make a fast
summary of the testing integration here.

At this moment the gnome buildbot at http://build.gnome.org has a step to call
for the unit tests on the current module "make check". Some tests were
made using the tool Check.

Here you are some posts (a little old) about the evolution of this work.
   * http://blogs.igalia.com/itoral/?p=29
   * http://blogs.igalia.com/itoral/?p=36
   * http://blogs.igalia.com/itoral/?p=38

In this case, it adds a first"conceptual version" using Check for gtk+.
However, Check is not using extensively, and a long brainstorming were made
to decide the tool for the unit tests:
   * http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-November/msg00039.html
   * http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-October/msg00093.html
   * http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-October/msg00015.html

AFAIK, Tim Janick were working on a gnome tool for unit tests different than
Check.

And about this, something I'm missing in this thread is what kind of regression
tests are you talking about. Are you talking about unit tests, functional tests,
integration tests or the whole package? On the BB page:
   * http://live.gnome.org/BuildBrigade
There are a goal too about regression and make a classification of this.

Although the title is "testing strategy for GUIs", and some people could think
about dogtail tests, I think that unit tests are too really useful.

Br

===
API (apinheiro igalia com)