Re: Sound Theme/Naming Specifications proposal

> Hi,
>
> I propose here a "Sound Theme Specification" on fdo. It is based
> heavily on the "Icon Theme Specification" and still in
> planning/requirements-gathering stage.
> You should be able to read it via yelp:
>
> git clone git://git.infradead.org/users/elmarco/sound-theme-spec.git
> yelp $PWD/sound-theme-spec/spec/sound-theme-spec.xml
>
> Gitweb: http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/elmarco/sound-theme-spec.git
>
> The idea of having such a spec has been discussed in the past, and I
> know someone did a similar work, but I cannot find it anymore..
> Some definitions (about default formats/localization/sound
> system/context/algorithm) are quite critical to get right and require
> attention, review and agreement.
>
> The "Sound Naming Specification" is a copy&paste of the Bango Project
> [1]. I just found a Oxygen wiki page [2] with similar aim. The goal
> here is to find a consensus for common requirement and sound naming
> conventions.
>
> btw; no implementation exists using such a spec, of course
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Bango
> [2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/Sound_Theme_Naming_Specification

This is absolutely inspired! I've recently been trying to involve a few
friends of mine in developing a series of open source notification
sounds at high quality, to distribute as a way to get them involved in
open source from a music tech point of view.

Until now I've had no takers for it, although some interest in getting
involved. Would it not be prudent to make a call out to the
"general-listening-public" to see if any other music tech geeks out
there want to create a library of sounds for the gnome desktop, and as
part of the development they extend and improve on the basic sound theme
naming spec as it has been shown here.

Regards,
 K,