Re: Pleasantness [was: Re: Sound effects]

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 18:34 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 12.12.08 12:19, Ronald S. Bultje (rsbultje gmail com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> Heya!
>
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> > > Futhermore it's really much easier to open one capplet and be able to
> > > mute half of the system sounds in just one click when preparing to
> > > give a presentation
> >
> > Like for power-management, this should be automated.
>
> There's not much to automate. All a presentation program needs to do
> is to toggle the GConf key /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds or the
> XSETTING gtk-enable-event-sounds.
>
> I don't think we need a daemon for managing that key, do we?

We probably do, because it's the same problem as the Inhibit APIs in the
screensaver. What if your app crashes, how does it reset the old value,
what was the old value? Should be easy enough to add to a
gnome-settings-daemon plugin though.

Other apps could also use it. See http://tinyurl.com/5s5an8 [1].

Cheers

[1]: And if you're worried about patents, see
http://www.redhat.com/legal/patent_policy.html