Re: Sound effects

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:

> Come one. First you claim the list of defined names is too large. Then
> you claim it is incomplete. Then you want only a single sound for
> all. Now you want to distuingish the events. Hey, make up your mind!

Thats not what i've said at all.
Nicely twisted into a meaningless strawman.

I think the list of defined names is too long.

If you are attempted to define a list of all possible different things
that may have different sounds then the the list is incomplete.
I was highlighting this to show that it is impossible to define all
possibilties before hand in some spec, not to claim that I want more
sounds.

I want a single meaning for why a sound has happened. I want a simple
answer to the question "should my application make a sound in this
situation?"

I don't want to distinguish events.
I want the user to be able to know that when they hear a sound that
there is something that may need their attention.

> You know, we define 125 sounds. It's up to you which ones you link
> to the same file and which ones you don't define at all. We already
> give you the power to do whatever you want.

And thats completely NOT what I want and has missed the point.

But I see that no-one else cares
So I shall stop caring as well.
And this is my last mail on the subject
Enjoy