Re: Sound effects

Le vendredi 12 décembre 2008 à 14:29 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Fri, 12.12.08 11:37, Iain * (iaingnome gmail com) wrote:
>
> > > Note that last word,
> > > it's a sound *theme*.  How do you get a "Startrek" sound theme if it's up to
> > > applications to ship their sounds?!
> >
> > How do you get a tango icon theme if its up to applications to ship
> > their own icons?
> > Most applications now ship tango icons, and they look somewhat out of
> > place if my icon theme isn't tango
> > How do you get a star trek theme that has a "printer has finished
> > printing" sound effect that fits in?
>
> This problem has been solved as good as possible for both the icon and
> the sound theme: a theme can specify another theme it wants to inherit
> from which might be the most applicable for fallback sounds. And the
> dash notation allows coalescing of sounds: i.e. you just need to stick
> a sound "complete" in the theme and if "complete-print-job" is not
> available it will fall back to "complete" and you will still get some
> kind of generic completion sound. Woot! That's made of awesome, isn't it?

I think the main problem with current theme (ie fd.o one) is that it is
not supposed to be used by default, since it features all sound events
as enabled, and many people dislike this.

I guess GNOME should probably have its own theme which could be just
fd.o theme, but with a lot of events disabled by default.

This is mostly what I did for Mandriva theme, using fd.o theme as a
basis and providing some Mandriva sounds for some events.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva