Re: Sound effects

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 14:22 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 12.12.08 10:06, Ross Burton (ross burtonini com) wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 02:00 +0000, Iain wrote:
> > > Some thoughts on sounds.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Hear hear.
> >
> > I turned off sounds in GNOME when I first started using it because
> > hearing six clicks when I change a radio button was somewhat irritating.
> > I understand the recent work has worked towards solving this but 125
> > event sounds is 124 too many.
>
> You are aware that in the new sound themes dialog we explicitly have a
> check box to disable "input feedback" sounds and leave everything else
> on?
>
> "input feedback" sounds are those which are the immediatey result of
> things like clicking on buttons.

There's still a number of bugs in the old libgnome code to hook sound
events to widgets. For example, if you had a sound connected to the
combobox popping up, changing between folders in Evolution (some with
filters and some not) would trigger the sound. It obviously shouldn't.

Which is why I mentioned that I'd rather have the sound emitting code
directly in the GTK+ widgets, so we know when the widgets have been
activated programatically or by hand.