Re: Dependency Proposal: Clutter 0.6.2, ClutterMM 0.6

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Adam Schreiber <sadam clemson edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
>
> <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
>  > On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 18:59 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>  >  > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
>  >  > <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
>  >  > >   1. It does not use Cairo;
>  >  >
>  >  > The implementation that I'm proposing will blit Cairo-rendered
>  >  > surfaces to textures using cluttermm. I couldn't make pretty, scalable
>  >  > 2D graphics without Cairo. So, they complement each other...
>  >
>  >  Well, Cairo is not just a checkbox that you can check and make everyone
>  >  happy; unless the entire output is Cairo, you cannot easily print the
>  >  content with high quality vector graphics.  You can't convert OpenGL
>  >  graphics to PS or PDF...
>  >
>  >  But I want to make clear that it is just a general comment I make about
>  >  Clutter.  In this specific case, gnome-games, it doesn't apply; I don't
>  >  think people will care much about high quality printing of a chess
>  >  game :)
>
>  Unless you're writing a book or website where high ranking games of
>  chess are recreated and commented on.  Not that I want to do that,
>  just a counter example.

Since the existing high-resolution 2D Cairo engines are still present
and their code is being reused for the accelerated version, there's no
need to worry about the deprecation of 2D. We all understand the value
of 2D and we aren't going to be carving it out any time soon.

Not until--at least--the far future when we're at war with talking
badgers... (How's that for straying from the subject!)