Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

<quote who="Xavier Claessens">

> * Proposal: Include Empathy in GNOME 2.22 desktop.
>
> * Purpose: Empathy [1] consists of a rich set of reusable instant
> messaging widgets, and a GNOME client using those widgets. It uses
> Telepathy and Nokia's Mission Control, and reuses Gossip's UI. The main
> goal is to permit desktop integration by providing libempathy and
> libempathy-gtk libraries. libempathy-gtk is a set of powerful widgets that
> can be embeded into any GNOME application.

First off, I'm really sorry you got such an antagonistic reception on this
list. I don't really understand why, given that this feature has been widely
regarded as attractive to GNOME for at least 5 years now. Empathy looks like
a *fantastic* approach to delivering desktop-wide presence and the 'people'
aspect of the Topaz vision.

Hopefully the discussion can shift to more salient points, such as depth of
integration throughout the desktop and applications, licensing issues that
may impact Empathy's eventual migration to the Platform suite, and whether
it's totally ready for inclusion in 2.22. :-)

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/