Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Hi Xavier,

(I'm replying your original message because I think most of the
discussion went through some weird and non-productive paths).

IMHO, Empathy is definitely the way to go for a GNOME-wide solution
for real-time communication because instead of proposing a new
application, you're doing a framework which will allow us to integrate
this whole thing to the desktop in a consistent and powerful way.

Also, it uses Telepathy which is where most of the efforts in
real-time communication are going in the free software world. It's
flexible, extensible and powerful.

I have some concerns though:

- I really miss more use cases or plans (some of them should/could be
implemented for 2.22 already) that could make Empathy be more
integrated to the desktop. Some examples/suggestions:
  1. Integrate messenger account settings into the "About me" applet
  2. Plugins to Epiphany, Gedit, Eye of GNOME, Rhythmbox, etc which
allow users to easily share media and content with their friends.
  3. An optional "People" menu in the menu bar panel applet which
gives users access to contacts and other communication tasks. I think
this would make a lot of sense because we already have macro-topics
there: "Applications", "Places", "System" and now... "People"!

- In the other hand, we need to be careful to not make Empathy a hard
UI dependency in way that distros cannot choose to not use it and pick
one of the usual instant messenger out there. In the mid-term, I'm
sure the results of integrating Empathy everywhere in the desktop will
be so cool that distros will just use it by default. But still...

- Documentation is missing (as others already mentioned).

So, this is my +1 for Empathy. :-)

--lucasr