Re: Please include into 2.22: libnotify, notification daemon

This was proposed to xdg long ago. We went several iterations on the specs and people seemed generally happy with it, though the KDE guys at the time made it clear that they wished to stay with their method due to some fundamental differences in how their notifications worked. At that time, they had talked about adding support for receiving notifications that are spec-compliant but I don't think support was ever added (probably due to all the normal reasons, time, not a huge requirement for the platform, etc.)

However, if you step away from KDE's decisions and look at how it's currently used in GNOME, we have at least the following programs that make use of libnotify/notification-daemon:

* Evolution
* Rhythmbox
* Banshee
* NetworkManager
* GNOME Power Manager
* GNOME Volume Manager
* Gossip
* X-Chat GNOME
* Weather applet
* Battery stat applet
* GNOME Baker
* Vino
* Bluez
* Liferea
* Various distro package update managers
* Nokia N800
* Last-exit

I decided to stop there and not include a bunch of apps. I think I've made my point :)

notification-daemon and libnotify are on every distro shipping GNOME, to my knowledge. Isn't it time to finally mark this as a blessed dependency? More and more apps are using this and it's become a de facto standard not only in GNOME but in practically anything not KDE-based, GTK+ or otherwise. It's only doing harm by preventing it from becoming a dependency, as it requires more work on the part of the developers to develop, test and support conditional code.

Christian

On 9/26/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Le mardi 25 septembre 2007, à 14:50 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> IIRC the issue has already been discussed before, but it is still
> unresolved. A lot of apps popup notifications using libnotify.
> gnome-settings-daemon would benefit of that library greatly. Could we
> please have it in GNOME - especially taking that de-facto it is a part
> of any reasonable GNOME desktop, already.

Quote from [1]:
  + libnotify
    - mixed feelings within the release team.
    - this is being used more and more, so it's pretty clear there's a
      demand for this.
    - some of us still strongly feel that it should live in one of the
      libraries we already have in our stack (probably GTK+). We'd like
      to see people working on integrating this in our stack, or
      explaining why it's not possible to do so.
    - what might be worth is accepting the dbus API: this is something
      that will happen more and more in the future (think Xesam, for
      example). The API probably needs to be standardized, though.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2007-August/msg00004.html

Can some people go to the xdg list, propose the dbus API and see if all
desktops are fine with it? That's really something that should be done.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.