Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

As the lead developer of Soylent, I thought I'd add my own opinions
based on experience with libempathy(-gtk).

Using libempathy(-gtk) as a Telepathy wrapper made it very easy for me
to integrate instant messaging into Soylent. I've found the API to be
very consistent and thereby easy to use.

The underlying Telepathy and Mission Control libraries also seem to be
well-designed, and Mission Control in particular makes it easy to
delegate work to external applications (eg, I tell Mission Control to
open an instant message to username x with my user account y, and it
tells Empathy to open the IM window). In other words, libempathy(-gtk),
Telepathy, and Mission Control actually *save* me from duplicating
effort (contrary to other opinions in this thread).

Xavier pointed out the wide adoption of Empathy(/Telepathy/Mission
Control) and great programs which build upon them - I think this stack
will important in pushing Gnome forward in many interesting new ways.

My main concerns right now are libempathy(-gtk)'s API stability and
documentation. The API in svn trunk has changed since the last release
(0.12), and (as Bj�points out) the documentation is basically
non-existent.

Xavier, could you explain how you plan to address these concerns in time
for the Gnome 2.22 release?

Thanks,
-Travis