Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Le dimanche 23 septembre 2007 �6:56 -0500, Jason D. Clinton a �it :
> On 9/23/07, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 16:00 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>         > Needless duplication of work covered by Pidgin and Ekiga
>         (and, so far,
>         > done better). This is a reimplementation of the wheel.
>
>         Empathy is a UI around an IM platform which totally replaces
>         the
>         single-application model of pidgin, ekiga, gossip and every
>         other IM
>         client.  With Empathy I can go online when I login and using
>         the same
>         Jabber connection chat in Empathy, see presence in Evolution,
>         and
>         transfer files in nautilus.  I'll be logged into the Jabber
>         server once,
>         and the connection is shared between them.
>
> Do these features exist yet or are we considering what Empathy could
> be at some theoretical point in the future? You talk as though we
> should evaluate Empathy's potential to replace Ekiga... how do the
> Ekiga developers feel about this? And can it actually deliver on this
> claim right now?

It is working right now, see links I put in my first email for
screenshot/movie of nautilus sending a file using Empathy.

>         My only issues with Empathy are stability and features, but
>         I'm +100 for
>         including Empathy in a future GNOME release.
>
>         Oh, and Pidgen isn't part of GNOME.
>
> It's "Pidgin" and it's non-inclusion in Gnome is irrelevant. Every
> single distro ships it as the pre-installed IM client for a "desktop"
> install. For better or worse, it's the application filling the IM
> space at the moment and I don't mind saying that it does a damn good
> job at this. Why are we trying to compete with them?

I disagree, it's important for GNOME to provide modern desktop features,
so we definitely need an official IM program that follows GNOME HIGs,
release schedule, etc. Distributions can still make other choices, like
ubuntu shipping firefox instead of epiphany.

> So what are we going to gain by including Empathy, other than more
> maintenance work in a Gnome Project that's strapped for developer
> time?

We gain easy to use IM features all over in the desktop.

Xavier Claessens.