Re: Proposal: swfdec-gnome

Benjamin Otte wrote:
> This would of course add an external dependency on the Swfdec library.
> The Swfdec library itself does not depend on anything that is not
> already part of Gnome. In fact, it uses Glib, Cairo, Pango and Gtk
> plus optional dependencies on GStreamer/FFmpeg/Mad for video/audio
> decoding and ALSA/OSS for audio playback.

Unfortunately, swfdec's dependency on ffmpeg/libmad for multimedia
decoding means that it cannot intrinsically be part of some distributions
such as Fedora without being hosted in a third-party repository of some
sort; and the current Gstreamer stack in swfdec does not work nearly as
well as does ffpmeg/libmad. For one, YouTube videos (from my very brief
testing with 0.5.3) play without sound and often freeze the X session
entirely. :(

Would this mean that its Gstreamer support would be heavily improved
or perhaps even become the main playback focus for videos? That would be
*awesome*. :)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail