reload icons from /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/ after installation of app

Hi,

the installation of the app that I am developping is placing a set of icons
in /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/ (also in 16x16, 32x32...).

The postinst script puts a .desktop file on the user's Desktop, which calls
for one of these icons. (I know that putting stuff on the desktop is not
perfect behaviour...)
Icon=some-icon.png

After the installation is finished, there is my new Desktop file visible on
the Desktop, but with a placeholder icon. Only after logging out and in
again the nice icon that I placed in ...48x48 is shown.

How can I tell Gnome Desktop to reload icons
from /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/ (or from ...16x16 etc.) so that the
icon referenced in the .desktop file gets shown without the need of logging
out and in again?

I am using Debian Etch.

many thanks
cheers