Re: Pulseaudio

cd .
Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 à 22:14 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Sat, 13.10.07 23:55, Olav Vitters (olav bkor dhs org) wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:20:36PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > I am not sure that PA should become "part" of GNOME. A blessed
> > > dependency sure, but really a new module of GNOME? Probably not.
> >
> > Regarding replacing esd. Currently a lot of apps link to libesd.so.0.
> > Pulseaudio doesn't seem to provide a replacement for that lib.
>
> Correct. Until libcanberra comes into place, we have to rely on libesd.
>
> > I assume this is because of libgnome<something> linking against libesd?
> > So if those functions are replaced the apps (after recompiling) would
> > link against libpulse instead?
>
> No. The primary reason libgnome pulls in libesd is event sounds. And
> for those event sounds we'll have libcanberra -- which however becomes
> a gtk module that is only loaded if necessary. So basically, the
> libesd dep would go away and not being replace.
>
> > How is the memory usage of those libs? The on-disk size (not memory) of
> > libesd seems small with 34KB, while libpulse is 236KB. Is there a
> > comparison between these libs regarding memory usage?
>
> The difference in memory usage should be minor. But I haven't checked that.
>
> > Is/will there be some compatibility layer for ESD apps? I know that you
> > can make libesd talk to Pulseaudio. I mean something that you could
> > compile an ESD app against Pulseaudio (using some -devel package that
> > would make it use Pulseaudio functions instead).
>
> No. I am not planning this. For the time being people can use our esd
> compatbility protocol. and everything is fine. Hopefully people are
> going to switch to other APIs eventually anyway. And for those apps
> which require libesd they should be using it and use our compat module.
>
> Reimplementing libesd seems like major work to me, that isn't really
> rewarding since we already have the esd compat module for PA, and also
> the number of apps actuallly using libesd functions (and not
> supporting multiple backends anyway), are limited.
>
> So, for the time being until we can replace the esd-specific code in
> libgnome libesd will continue to be shiped, although the rest of ESD
> is not.

Hmm, unless I'm mistaken, I think we have a problem here : esound is
part of the GNOME platform, which means we are committed to API and ABI
stability.

So, even if we drop esound from libgnome, we still need to provide
libesd compat wrapper for applications which uses it directly.

I mean, if we switch to PA, I don't think we still want to keep esound
around, just to have libesd..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva