Re: Pulseaudio

On Wed, 17.10.07 00:17, Josselin Mouette (joss debian org) wrote:

> Hi,

> > > It makes setting up PulseAudio a real pain though.
> >
> > The idea is that your distribution does this for you.
>
> So, if I get it, one day the whole distribution is using ALSA, and the
> day after it should start using PA instead? How do you expect people to
> achieve such a miracle without a transition that is made impossible by
> PA locking the sound device?

The transition is perfectly doable with the pulse plugin for
libasound. Works fine with most applications. Applications that
hardcode the alsa device to use will break, but they are broken
already anyway.

I spent a lot of time to make the transition with most sound systems
we have on Linux right now as smooth as possible - and we have a lot
of sound APIS and systems. Most things should work fine out of box if
the distribution packages everything properly. And in the worst thing
you can use pasuspender like I suggested before.

Lennart