Re: Pulseaudio

Il giorno lun, 08/10/2007 alle 23.19 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro ha
scritto:
> Last time I tried PulseAudio (over a year ago) it hogged the sound
> device and did not let any other ALSA client produce sound.
>
> Can someone confirm the bug is still there?  Just (e.g.) play some music
> with PulseAudio and then start an ALSA client, check that mixing is
> being done.
>
> If the bug is still there then I would not recommend anyone using
> PulseAudio.  Unless you want to see for example your flash plugin sound
> to stop working, like it didn't usually work in the old days when it
> used OSS API.

Pulseaudio can do much better than dmix in my opinion. The only thing
you need is to tell alsa to use pulse as pcm.!default and ctl.!default,
after having installed the relative ALSA plugin.

The ALSA plugin is quite stable and works well for me.

As for Macromedia Flash 9, it is well known it is a buggy proprietary
software with quite a lot of problems. People jumped at it, anyway, and
now Pulseaudio has an extra library you can install to have Flash
working seamlessly. Much better than with ESD, imho.

Regards,
--
Matteo Settenvini
FSF Associated Member