Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

2007/11/30, Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin gramlich gmail com>:
> About three months ago, Vincent proposed changes to the gnome-panel that
> would remove the bonobo usage and switch to d-bus, as well as create a
> new library/compatibility layer to handle applets [1]. It seems that
> this high memory consumption is a reality (I often have close to 500MB
> consumed at any given time, and that's sans compositor). Is it possible
> that when the panel is re-written we could address these concerns and
> make the panel and applets more nimble?
>
> benjamin gramlich

Very interesting.

And about all those libraries.. i don't know exactly how windows is
doing it but isn't windows caching all there libraries? or just the
ones that are used mostly? whichever one it is.. i think fedora (and
linux in general) should cache all libraries that are most used.
(caching all might be a little big). And yes a algorithm has to made
for it and probably even a  upstream kernel patch to do it in the
kernel ?... and just a good caching mechanism that lies in the kernel
and is smart (meaning it will detect what you used and cache the most
used files during boot time) is something that i really miss in Linux
in general.. programs are relatively slow under linux now while they
can be a lot faster with smart caching (no readahead or preload at
least not in there current shape)...  just my thoughts.

Than small sized applets (like the nm-applet and the volume control
shouldn't take more than 500 KB in the memory and still be a lot
faster than they are now.

And about this question:
"Did anyone notice, that Fedora 8 Gnome startup takes roughly two
times longer than Fedora 6 one?"

well.. i did notice that it was taking (a lot) longer than in earlier
Fedora versions and other distributions not Fedora 6 in particular.

It's all a mather of time, money, patience and programming skills....
and i can't do it (yet)