Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:34 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Now there are still 3 more left in the list i highlighted.
> 1. Nautilus
> Oke.. this one is bothering me. at the time that i shot the screenshot
> nautilus was not open (at least not the file browser) and than it's
> taking up that much memory! that's just overkill!

The desktop is managed by nautilus.

> 2. gnome-settings-daemon
> Why does this need to run? what's the purpose of it? If it's just
> running for other programs to grab gnome settings (wild guess) than
> it's using up way to much RAM anyway. otherwise it has to go.

It's an essential part of the GNOME settings.

> So.. is something gonna change with this memory abuse?

I suggest that you start by running the applications in valgrind, both
the memcheck skin (to find any leaks) and the massif skin (to see where
the memory is being used).  You might find some easy to fix low-hanging
fruit like large unused images which are not being feed, or mmap'd files
which should be closed.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./