Re: Evolution Plugins (Was Re: Rise of the Plugins)

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:06 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Hmm, didn't know about that! Its much nicer, but a bit busy by default
> with showing so many columns. What if it only showed prefered email
> address and prefered phone nr by default?
>
> Also, preview is still on bottom so as soon as you enable that its much
> harder to browse in the list. Even when there is lots of unused space
> availible to the right, since I just removed a bunch of the columns in
> the listview...

Yes. It shows a lot of not-so-often-used columns. I have a custom-view
which I have saved long-back and been using for years which has some of
these columns removed and re-sized properly. (Same for mailer as well)

Similarly, the New Contact dialog also shows a lot of options, one may
not fill most of the times.

Patches are welcomed *hint* :)

> Its not that I don't know how to do it. Its just that there is a huge
> button that says "calendar" and there is the "obvious" menu entry
> view->window->calendars that you're more likely to use. But if you use
> these then evolution punches you in the face, so you have to figure out
> workarounds like a two-step operation via new window or using the
> launchers from the gnome menu.
>
> > I admit that component-specific customizable Toolbars may make more
> > sense.
>
> Why not go whole-hog and do per-component toplevel window designs. :)
> Thats more or less what you get if you make everything about the window
> per-component specific, but in a much more complicated way.

It is just that I do not want to lose the functionality of everything
under a shell which is been preferred/used by the large chunk of
corporate users (migrated from Outlook, Novell GroupWise client, etc.)
Accepting appointments from mail-view, Mail-To-Task are all heavily used
in corporate setups.

Furthermore, as I explained in some other mail, mails, calendars and
address-books are related applications to me. And hence I want to have
them under a single shell launched by a single-click.

As Srini said in another mail, we should have an amicable solution for
this by 2.22, once we complete the MAPI work we are currently doing.

--
Sankar P
All opinions expressed are personal

 Novell, Inc.