Re: New GNOME Dependency Proposal: libgcrypt

On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 07:05 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> 2007/5/6, Diego González <diego pemas net>:
>         On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 19:13 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
>         > It's very likely that gnome-keyring will depend on both
>         libgcrypt and
>         > gnutls by the time 2.20 is released.
>         >
>         > gnutls' certificate and key parsing/storage and related will
>         be used for
>         > the gnome-keyring certificate store. libgcrypt will provide
>         lower level
>         > public and symmetric crypto support.
>         >
>         > gnutls is already listed as a GNOME dependency here:
>         >
>         > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNineteen/ExternalDependencies
>
>         Reached this point i think GNOME should make a decision on
>         what crypto
>         library is it going to use/bless:
>                 evolution is using libnss
>                 gnome-keyring will using libgcrypt/libgnutls
>                 gnome-vfs can use openssl or libgcrypt/libgnutls
>         Under certain circumstances gnome can be using the three
>         libraries!
>
>         I think gnome should choose on of the libraries and stick to
>         it instead
>         of using the three of them.
>
> Summarizing, you are asking evo developers to port it to
> gcrypt/gnutls, isn't it?

actually not, i'm saying that from now on GNOME should bless a library,
and the thing from my point of view looks like this:

	evolution: choosing libnss was made because when evo was developed
gpgme did not have the proper license, maybe this has changed but i also
understood that it would not be trivial to port it to gpg-me.
	gnome-keyring: not yet released with libgnutls support
	gnome-vfs: soon to be deprecated.

There are still more crypto libraries than those three i mentioned, and
we should make sure not to be using all of them in the platform, from
now on we should try not to go even further in our particular dependency
hell.

Diego