Re: Desktop sounds in Gnome

> things super simple from a user perspective. Do we really need, and do
> users really care about, different sounds for questions, information,
> battery low, etc.

my personal opinion is no, we don't need all that. So, the question is,
are there users that use and like this functionality?

Personally: yes, I like the functionality very much!  I have cordless headphones and often walk away from the compy whilst it is doing something which might take a while (CD burning, downloading, updating).  I really like being notified audibly, and the different "urgency" I can assign to it -- a question?  I'll wander back.  Battery low?  Find transformer and run!

And that's before even considering accessibility, etc.

-- glennji