Re: add libcolorblind as an external dependencie

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 12:02 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 16:14 +0000, Daniel Ruoso wrote:

> > One thing that must be noted is that the colorblind filter is not
> > supposed to be used all the time,

	That's an important point - this is something I'd use once in a blue
(or maybe purple, but what's the difference) moon. I'd want to be able
to quickly switch it on, try the different filters and then quickly
switch it off again.

	Is integrating these filters with gnome-mag the best way to achieve
that? (Honest question, it's been a while since I've played with
gnome-mag)

> * The colors for the fill bars in the Disk Usage Analyzer
>   are hard-coded.  They used to be PNG images, and the red
>   and green were virtually indistinguishable.  Now they're
>   custom-drawn, but with hard-coded colors.  While the red
>   and green are now distinguishable, the green and yellow
>   are not.

	This kind of thing wouldn't bother me. The colours only serve as a
subtle extra hint and I, personally, just completely ignore colour hints
like that.

	It's fine to try and figure out better contrasting shades of those
colours, but I wouldn't change them outright to different colours since
that would surely make the hints a lot less useful to most people.

> What worries me, though, is the discoverability of this
> feature.  As a color-blind user, if I encountered some
> pie chart on the web with crappy colors, it would never
> occur to me to open the screen magnifier.
>
> The technology is cool.  Now we need to shake out the
> user interaction.

	Right.

> > Again, this filter is not meant to help usage of gnome applications
> > itself, because gnome is already colorblind-friendly. We're talking here
> > mainly about web content. To show that, I've taken some usefull
> > screenshots using vertical split in gnome-mag [1].
> >
> > daniel
> >
> > [1] http://people.debian.org/~ruoso/colorblind/
>
> I can see the numbers!

	Me too :-)

	hue-shift-positive seems to work best for me. I wonder is that always
true, or just for these pictures? i.e. would I only need to figure out
my filter preference once, or would it always be useful to me to try all
filters?

Cheers,
Mark.