Discussion for a more robust panel layout

Hi!

Recently the problem of changes of resolutions has been raised [1] on
the usability list. I would like to start a discussion about how to
manage the effect of resolution changes on the panel layout better
than what we do today. This implies another way of storing the panel
layout.

I know Vincent Untz already thought a bit about this and there were a
few short talks on this matter, but I'd like to make a proposal and
try to start a discussion about this.

Here is the wiki page I set up for this:

   http://live.gnome.org/GnomePanel/RelativeLayout

Does this seem sane to you? How would you do otherwise? How would you
enchance the current proposal?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!
Manu

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2007-March/msg00026.html