Re: Desktop sounds in Gnome

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 18:01 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> So we have a sound server. Can this play themed sounds?

Once upon a time, I started a sound theme spec, based on the
current Icon Theme specification, and sounds implementation
in GNOME, as I have no idea how the KDE sound themes work.
When I sent this to the XDG list, it received nothing but
push back from all the KDE people on the list.

Perhaps it's time to propose such a spec again, with a little
revision, so that we can use it for both KDE and GNOME. We
can also specify some basic desktop sound events.

However, while it's great to have sounds for events in the
desktop, there are other useful configuration options as
well. I think it would be extremely useful to have an "events"
spec which would deal with the events portion, and a sound
theme spec to only deal with the sounds portion. The events
spec could define basic desktop events, and what potential
actions could be taken, such as play a sound, show a notification
bubble, or run a program.

-- dobey