Re: Desktop sounds in Gnome

On 19/03/07, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
On Seg, 2007-03-19 at 17:48 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 19/03/07, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 laposte net> wrote:
> > So, will gnome 2.20 play nice sound when disk is burn, sound volume
> > increased, mail received/sent, new RSS item available, etc. ? Would the
> > system sounds be themable like icons are ?
>
> It would be great to theme these like we can icons.
> gnome-power-manager just needs to play a "battery low" chime, and
> linking to gstreamer seems very heavyweight.
>
> I think we need three things:
>
> * A system sounds freedesktop standard (ala, tango)
> * An easier way to plug in configuration to the existing sound capplet
> * A sound server that works, i.e. works with the user theme, and we
> can just play ("low-power");
>
> How many of these things already exist and are usable in one form or another?

  We also need said sound server to not suck.  On Linux systems it must
1) use ALSA, and 2) work well with dmix and allow other applications
(e.g. flash plugin) to use ALSA directly.  Pulse Audio at least doesn't
qualify for the second point.  Esound doesn't qualify for either.

ESound is off the radar. PulseAudio is the best we've got by far, and
seems to work with most stuff I've thrown at it.

So we have a sound server. Can this play themed sounds?

Richard.