Re: GNOME 2.20 Python version

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 09:50 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 14:23 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> [snip]
> > You should always test with your minimum requirements.
> [snip]
>
> It's not that simple. Some (fairly minor) changes are needed to make
> things build with Python 2.5. We already know that they build with
> Python 2.4. They need to build with both, not just one.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should only test
with your minimum requirements.  You should, of course,
test with as many permutations of your supported platform
as is feasible.  (Yes, this gets unwieldy, but you should
try anyway.)

My point was that, if you never test with the platform
that you claim is the required minimum, you can't really
guarantee that it works.

I've actually seen quite a few cases where a programmer
uses some newer functionality in some library without
updating the version requirements.  Heck, I'm sure I've
done it myself.  It's really easy to do by accident.

--
Shaun