Re: GNOME 2.20 Python version

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:52 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> If a program works correctly with Python 2.4, is there
> actually a danger of it not working correctly with 2.5?
> That sounds broken.

Python 2.4 and 2.5 install in parallel so already-built applications
will not be broken.

But if you choose to rebuild your application against a newer Python,
you might need some changes to make it build without errors or warnings.
Ignoring compiler warnings could lead to problems on 64-bit systems, but
possibly not more problems than with Python 2.4.

(This is about the Python C API, not about running Python code
directly.)

> I worry that this move would result in programmers using
> 2.5-only features.  Our intrepid testers wouldn't notice,
> because they're building from jhbuild.  But we'd create
> an effective 2.5 dependency that our distributors would
> have to deal with.

I think they'd tell us about problems.

--
Murray Cumming