Re: libpcre: external dependency for gnome-system-monitor?

2007-06-07 klockan 19:35 skrev Jan de Groot:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 15:01 +0200, Benoît Dejean wrote:
> > I think GRegex already requires pcre ? I can see that glib requires
> > pcre
> > 7.0 to build. So what's wrong ?
>
> glib ships an internal snapshot for that. So if people really really
> insist on removing this external dependency, you could do so too.
>
> BTW: pcre is a base dependency on our distribution because grep depends
> on it for PCRE-regex syntax support. Glib will get compiled against
> system-pcre on Archlinux.

Debian grep does not link to libpcre:

  $ ldd /bin/grep
  linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7ef4000)
  libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7d9a000)
  /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7ef5000

This is because libpcre is installed into /usr/lib/, which is not guaranteed
to be available at boottime (might be on a different partition), while
/bin/grep is an essential utility in init scripts and should be available at
all times.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

never lived never lived :: i'm in love        -- black rebel motorcycle club