Re: Online Desktop integration ideas

On 7/22/07, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
Luis Villa wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Alexander Boström <abo kth se> wrote:
>>  sön 2007-07-22 klockan 10:26 -0400 skrev Havoc Pennington:
>>

>>  I think when possible, it can be nicer to store stuff online via the
>> online app that edits it - e.g. store photos on Flickr, rather than
>> store photos in a remote filesystem or something.
>>

>>  I thought OD really wasn't at all about moving the home directory to a
>> server, but about making the desktop integrate nicely with the services that
>> are already out there.
>
> +1 for clarification on the motives/interest there.

Hmm, well in my slides the mission-statement thingy was:

>   The perfect window to the Internet: integrated with all your favorite
>   online apps, secure and virus­-free, simple to set up and zero­
>   maintenance thereafter.

Integration with online apps is more part of "window to the Internet"
while syncing a few of your homedir files is more the zero maintenance part.

If we aim for zero or low maintenance, one goal might be no manual
backup/restore headaches.

<snip good discussion>

Fair. I understand it much better now. Still think you'd do well to
focus on the "window to the internet" portion at first, though, given
that (as Jeff points out) file sync is sort of dull. It is a real
problem, but if you solve it for most people they will say 'eh' right
up until they need it. Drive good integration with the internet and
people will go 'ooh' as soon as they see it, and be reminded every day
how interesting/useful it is. The dull parts you can build later.

Luis