Re: Remove libgnomeui where possible?

Sounds good in theory, *but* modules in libegg need an exit strategy (ie. a lib that they are destined for). Code isn't meant to live in libegg forever.

Of course not. Most are probably meant for GTK and in the Ridley wiki. But until a GTK+ version that contains all libgnomeui equivalents is released and GNOME apps converted to it, it would be nice to have some measurable memory reductions between GNOME releases as opposed to having to present performance improvements which affect only corner-cases (i.e gnome-terminal scrolling millions of lines of text faster than previously).

Also startup time is not to neglect, but I guess with much of our time spent in web-browsers we all got used to high latency and it is not surprising anymore that an app can easily take over a second to launch.

So the changes brought up here are less than ideal as they use copy pasted code, but they'd at least emphasize in each app which bits are still legacy or GNOME only instead of being spread all across it.

Since these can be done step by step they may make good candidates for GnomeGoals.

Last but not least it would be a diplomatic statement (for lack of better words) towards other GTK environments and developers (embedded, Xfce, XO) and would encourage cooperation in some areas as opposed to gratuitous duplication.

Jani