Re: some more questions on the control center shell, etc

Calum Benson wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 17:43 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
Calum Benson wrote:

Of course if we'd tackled that problem first, we might not have needed
to switch back to a shell at all :/
Change back? I thought people had agreed that in the long run the menus were not a good idea, and that a usable shell was much nicer?

There didn't appear to me to be any overwhelming consensus in the recent
desktop-devel discussion, but admittedly I was probably reading it
through menu-tinted spectacles :)

Ok, put another way, there weren't any massive objections :-)

The current shell is not perfect and it still has issues that need to be ironed out, but I don't think that any blocker issues cannot be resolved before release. Are we suggesting that even if we had a perfect shell, it would still not be more usable and accessible as using a menu?

[...]

As I've said before, I always use the menus rather than the shell on
both OS X and Windows when I'm using those, so yes, I'm biased in that
sense.  All I can say is that I did audibly mutter an expletive when I
had to open the control center shell on Ubuntu for the third time in two
minutes the other night, rather than pick straight off the menu, and
it's a very long time since a GNOME UI feature made me do that :)

If people really believe that the menu options are still the most user-friendly way of getting to the preference capplets, then we should enable that by default. I hope that the control center shell will be easily accessible to those people who prefer it (where as it was not in the past). I am reluctant to say "make it an option", because it is so obvious we are creating an option due to lack of effective decision making and design direction.

This really brings me on to another point Sri made when I was speaking to him on IRC. He used the term "interface churn" when I happened to ask his opinion on the new control center shell. He made the point that every time we change something in our UI, businesses and users will have to spend time and money retraining. Not to mention any books or guides that give examples about our desktop go instantly out of date. The change to the control center interface will mean that every single distribution that carries user documentation will have to be updated.

We seem to have a really difficult time deciding on changes to our user interface (gnome-main-menu discussion for example). How do we move forward with UI improvements when we face these problems? Do we need a group of trusted and motivated people to approve design changes?

-Thomas