Re: Cairo-1.2.6 required

On Ter, 2007-01-23 at 11:59 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
[...]
> I know, the new external dependency handling[1] is still a bit new to
> everyone and we're having some hiccups incorporating it, but it has
> done wonders for buildability of the stack and for helping various
> teams to stay on top of things.  Any suggestions at further
> improvements to the process are welcome.

  The new external dependency handling works great and I would like to
thank the release for that.

  However, assuming well behaved external dependencies, we might want to
relax the restrictions.  In principle, if GNOME uses external package
foo with version X.Y.Z, we should be able to safely upgrade to X.Y.(Z
+delta) as soon as it is released.

  Of course such rule cannot be applied blindly since not all software
respects correctly micro version conventions, but for software we
"trust" we could do this immediately, without thinking twice.  At least
it would solve the cairo 1.2.4 vs 1.2.6 issue that brought this thread
of discussion.

  Best regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic