Re: Application specific themable icons

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 18:51 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 13 janvier 2007, �0:13, Nickolay V. Shmyrev a �it :
> > I dislike the need to install all icons into ${datadir}/hicolor/...
>
> This made me read http://live.gnome.org/ThemableAppIcons and I'm now
> wondering about one thing...
>
> The path where apps install icons is $(pkgdatadir)/icons/hicolor. I
> guess this path is chosen to avoid conflicts between icons of various
> applications. However, how does this work for icon themes you download
> and put in ~/.themes/$(name)/icons/? I mean, the name clash for icons of
> various apps that the theme author wants to theme will appear there too.

There will be a metaphor clash, yes, but this just needs to be worked
out between the applications, so that the icons are used properly. This
is no different than current cases where we have people copying icons
to different names, just so they can have an icon for something in their
UI. It's just abusing the icons. For using icons properly, there is
plenty of UI review that can, and needs, to be done.

The benefit here is that while the above is true, you don't have
multiple apps installing the same file name to the system hi-color
theme, creating file conflicts and packaging problems for vendors.

-- dobey