Re: Proposed module: tracker

Le lundi 08 janvier 2007, à 19:33, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> Information about tracker:
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

My €0.02 (sorry, I guess I will repeat some things):

-1 from me, but try again for 2.20. Here are some reasons:

 + I see no point in including tracker now. I expect such a thing to be
   a quite important part of GNOME, and many apps to use it. This is not
   the case right now. Note that this was one of the big points of the
   new procedure for module inclusion [1]

 + as some pointed out, tracker has moved too much in the last few
   months, and I expect it to continue doing so for some time. This is
   good for tracker. But I'm not sure this would be good for GNOME if
   tracker were included: I expect such a part to be quite stable so we
   can safely depend on it.

 + I'd like to see an "search engine-agnostic" API so that we can choose
   between tracker, beagle, etc. as search engine on pure technical
   merits. I know there's an effort going on on xdg-list about this, and
   I'd love to see this done before we accept a search engine.

 + as for the metadata store, I'd push for a neutral API again if
   possible.

(note that the last two points can also make cross-desktop stuff easier)

So, working on neutral APIs is what I'd recommend. Then, we could have
our current modules use those API without directly depending on tracker
or beagle or another candidate. Which would help with my first point.

Vincent

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2006-April/msg00000.html

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.