Re: Proposed module: tracker

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 09:09 +1300, John Stowers wrote:
> To be frank I see Tracker as the most interesting thing that has been
> developed for GNOME. I am most excited to finally see tagging
> available on the desktop (yes there was leaftag but that is now dead).
> It is the first piece of infrastructure that smells like Topaz as well
> as letting us play catchup to vista and OSX in terms of search - lets
> give people something to be excited about.

I don't think you have to be a blessed dependency to get excited over
new functionality, or to add it as an optional support via #ifdef to
other software. gnome-power-manager was being shipped in 90% of the
GNOME distros by default before it was accepted into the desktop set.

Don't get me wrong, I think tracker *and* beagle are very cool, but
until I can do all the stuff with tracker I can with beagle I know which
one I would install by default. This is no critisism of effort or code
quality, this is just an end user opinion.

Grab some high-up redhat, suse, ubuntu distro people and ask them why
they ship beagle by default and not tracker. If you can come up with a
convincing argument, and one of the big three [1] start shipping the
code then it becomes much easier convincing us difficult-to-please GNOME
guys. :-)

Richard.

[1] No big discussion please, I couldn't list every big distro.