Re: eject buttons on the places menu

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 16:44 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/1/4, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com>:
> >
> >  Since version 0.5.1, Tomboy is offering a way to pin important notes by
> > pressing a pin icon at the side of the note,like this:
> >
> >  http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6149/sinnombrejg7.jpg
> >
> >  I think that implementing a similar solution on gnome-panel's places menu
> > would be rather useful. Here you can see a small mockup I made:
> >
> >  http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4111/pantallazobu2.png
> >
> >  What do you think? Would it be very hard to implement? Is there anyone
> > against the idea?
>
> I'll gladly volunteer to be against it ;)
>
> While otherwise a decent idea, this makes the menuitem have two
> different actions without clearly stating so. There is visually
> nothing that will tell the user that the eject button is any different
> from the icon before the text. Making it look like a button would sort
> of solve this I guess...
>
> BUT this would also disrupt keyboard navigation (and most likely
> assistive technologies too), since although you could implement it so
> that pressing right would select the small icon when on the item,
> getting back would not be as simple. Pressing left now brings you to
> higher level menu so it would either require a double press
> *sometimes*   (creating a web of confusion unless you spot that there
> is this funny icon that caused it) or some totally different method
> making it very undiscoverable.

Agreed.

Tomboy is making an error, IMO - there are three ways of browsing
through your notes: the context menu, the ToC and the search. There's no
point in this.

If somehow the context menu for this "place" was the same menu invoked
on the desktop icon for the "place" and also the one in computer:///,
AND the one in disk mounter, things would be a lot more consistent and
better.

As it happens, they are all different. Baaad.