Re: D-Bus vs jhbuild

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 10:03 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 14:22 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 10:47 +0100, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I've been having some problems with services started by dbus in a
> > > jhbuild environment lately.
> > >
> > > What I'm seeing is that some services - maybe all that are started by
> > > dbus - are being run out of the system prefix instead of the jhbuild
> > > prefix.
> > >
> > > I've built everything against the system installed dbus and hal, since
> > > building these and getting them to work has been too much hassle every
> > > time I've tried in the past.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to get dbus launched services to start out of the jhbuild
> > > prefix with this setup?
> > >
> > > The ones I see started from /usr are:
> > >
> > > gnome-settings-daemon (started by gnome-session)
> > > gnome-vfs-daemon (started by???)
> > > totem-plugin-viewer (started by epiphany)
> > >
> > > Anyone able to help here?
> >
> > The system dbus starts daemons from /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, and the
> > files installed there generally contain Exec=/usr/bin/foo.
>
> You can't activate with the system bus (yet!).

Thats not what i meant. The system-installed dbus will, when run as the
session daemon start stuff from /usr/share/dbus-1/services.

> > gnome-vfs lets you do -with-dbus-service-dir=PATH to install service
> > files there instead.
> >
> > Maybe there is some dbus env var you can set too?
>
> jhbuild should be starting its own session bus with the configuration
> set to all the directories in its buildroot instead of using
> <standard_service_dirs /> directive.  Also one can set XDG_DATA_DIRS to
> point to the directory which contains dbus-1/services if
> <standard_service_dirs /> is used.

The original mail said that a system installed version of dbus was used,
not one built with jhbuild.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an underprivileged ninja rock star in drag. She's a psychotic bisexual
mercenary who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen.
They fight crime!