Re: D-Bus vs jhbuild

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 14:22 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 10:47 +0100, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've been having some problems with services started by dbus in a
> > jhbuild environment lately.
> >
> > What I'm seeing is that some services - maybe all that are started by
> > dbus - are being run out of the system prefix instead of the jhbuild
> > prefix.
> >
> > I've built everything against the system installed dbus and hal, since
> > building these and getting them to work has been too much hassle every
> > time I've tried in the past.
> >
> > Is there a way to get dbus launched services to start out of the jhbuild
> > prefix with this setup?
> >
> > The ones I see started from /usr are:
> >
> > gnome-settings-daemon (started by gnome-session)
> > gnome-vfs-daemon (started by???)
> > totem-plugin-viewer (started by epiphany)
> >
> > Anyone able to help here?
>
> The system dbus starts daemons from /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, and the
> files installed there generally contain Exec=/usr/bin/foo.

You can't activate with the system bus (yet!).

> gnome-vfs lets you do -with-dbus-service-dir=PATH to install service
> files there instead.
>
> Maybe there is some dbus env var you can set too?

jhbuild should be starting its own session bus with the configuration
set to all the directories in its buildroot instead of using
<standard_service_dirs /> directive.  Also one can set XDG_DATA_DIRS to
point to the directory which contains dbus-1/services if
<standard_service_dirs /> is used.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>