Tarball generation using outdated tools (gnome-doc-utils, autotools)

At this moment I'm having quite some issues when building released beta
tarballs using ./configure && make && make install. Many tarballs are
generated with outdated gnome-doc-utils and don't build without
regenerating things using gnome-doc-prepare, aclocal and all the other
things that have to be done after that. Another issue is quite some
--disable-static flags that don't work, it seems some older autoconf
version is buggy in generating code for this switch in configure files.

For SVN, I can imagine that it's normal to run ./autogen.sh or use
gnome-autogen.sh, but for released tarballs this shouldn't be the case.

I think we should pay attention to this issue for the final release
tarballs, as that is what people running gnome from source will use when
GNOME 2.18 becomes final. Many people don't like the fact that GNOME is
50-100 tarballs with many dependencies to get it complete, but when we
have several important packages (gnome-applets, gucharmap,
gnome-terminal, gnome-power-manager, file-roller, gnome-utils, totem)
that don't compile out of the box, these people will certainly have
something to rant about (and to make things worse: ./autogen.sh is not
included in tarballs, it's only in SVN (totem and epiphany are an
exception here)).