Re: An idea about a webcam....

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 06:56 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> 2007/2/5, Jason Brower <encompass gmail com>:
>         On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 23:30 +0100, Étienne Bersac wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > > We have to crack the code just to get things to
>         > > work.  Why not create our own.  That is my ultimate idea
>         here.
>         >
>         > Héhé ! You're not the first to say that. "If two solution
>         does not
>         > interoperate, then create a third one to replace them all".
>         And you end
>         > up with three solutions :).
>         >
>         > Really, GTalk does have support of video (see N800) though
>         jingle. FOSS
>         > client are to support this soon or late. Please don't create
>         another,
>         > especially if you use Java and http.
>         >
>         > You have great skills, don't waste it.
>         >
>         > Étienne.
>         >

>         You point is very well taken.  I guess your not seeing the
>         power of this
>         idea.  It doesn't matter what protocol THEY use... I have
>         something that
>         works with them faster and better.  They don't even have to
>         install
>         anything.  Just click and it works.
>
>         And yeah, I know it's http and java.  I guess I am not smart
>         enough to
>         use anything else.  But do you have a better idea of what to
>         use when
>         you have no control on what the other person on the other end
>         has?  Or
>         that they are windows minded and won't install anything that
>         works with
>         Linux.  (My father, it's that terrible.)
>         But your point is taken.  I was hoping to avoid programming
>         anything
>         knew.  All the technology has been around a while.  From the
>         protocols
>         to programs used.  I am just gluing it together easily with my
>         program.
>

> Exactly where are you using Java? In an applet to display the video? I
> don't think it is a good assumption that everyone has a Java runtime
> available - as I know for a fact, they do not (I've had a few Java
> applets on my homepage too and it caused people all kinds of
> frustration).
>

> Cheers,
> Mikkel
Java is used client side yes.  I can show you just add me to jabber.
If someone can do it in PHP or JavaScript PLEASE I need some one too.  I
am just not good enough to do it.  I used a simpler version that used
JavaScript at one time.  But couldn't push it past about 1 frame a
second.
As for people that have Java.  Please pick something else that everyone
has.  I can't use much more.  I suppose what ever direction I take I
will upset someone.  No Flash; No Java; no JavaScript, and eventually No
HTML.  I agree with all that.... BUT we have to have something everyone
has without programming something new.
Just another gap I never thought this filled... IRC.  Infact more than
one person at a time can veiw it.  Kinda nice knowing IRC chatting can
have Webcam. :P
Jason Brower