Re: An idea about a webcam....

On 2/2/07, Jason Brower <encompass gmail com> wrote:
I wanted a unified way of communicating with video with as many people
in as many technologies as possible.
I found this very hard so came to the idea of working around technology
that almost everyone has on their computers.  This came to 2 things
A browser and JAVA.
With that I was able to create a webcam web-page and people where able
to see me without any problem.  I can talk with my family and they can
see me.  Even a novice can use my webcam.  They just click with a mouse.
Of course there are better technologies.  But google video has sucky
video, we still use it because it is so easy to use.
I use a combination of the following...(with notes)
Camserv
        Works rather well considering it hasn't been developed sinces
        2003.  Very well built and able to do exactly what I want.
Apache
        I am sure I could use something smaller and more streamlined for
        this use.  All it has to do is provide at most maybe five
        connections and run under a designated port.
CamServFront
        This is a Python, GTK, Glade Program I have made this last week
        that is a simple front end to camserv.  It provides a nice way
        to turn of and on the cam and adjust a few settings to meet the
        needs of the you and the client.

I'm not sure that all this is necessary.  If the drivers are
available, HAL should attach the webcam to /dev/videoX and then
gstreamer should be able to attach the video source to anything on the
desktop that needs it.  At that point, the messenger clients simply
need to handle the various protocol's quirks with respect to sending
video.

Cheers,

Adam