Missing apps for GNOME

Hi,

even if I don't have tons of time, I'd like to contribute more to the
GNOME project.

It's obviously always possible to fix bugs here and there, but I'd like
to "specialize" on a particular project, at least for some time being. I
know there are understaffed ones, and for sure I'd be interested in
knowing which one needs people most -- keeping in mind that I'd require
some mentorship if the project is well established and mature, in order
to orient myself a little.

I've got experience with C++ and Gtk+/Gtkmm, know C (but not the whole
GNOME stack well), Ruby and can juggle with various languages a little.
Willingness to learn is there, along with some algorithmic knowledge.

However, I'd be also interested in hearing of priorities you think GNOME
as a *desktop* should have. I mean, what app could be useful in the
GNU/Linux free world, and we currently miss.

As for my everyday use, I've come to think of some of them:
  1. A good movie editor. A lot of people like to film their holidays
and do a DVD of it, for example. In Windows, you've that crappy built-in
software which is using WMV as a default format. Mac OS X, it comes with
iMovie. The Diva Project showed to be promising, but it seems quite dead
now. It was written in C#.
  2. DVD authoring capabilities for an existing burner software. Someone
is speaking of the upcoming K3b to have some features in, can someone
confirm? I would like to pick some movies, create chapters and menus,
and put the whole on a DVD. In Windows, see for example what Nero does.
Btw, would it be better to work on GNOME Baker, Brasero, or do a
stand-alone app for this?

Are you aware of any free-software project already started on those
points? Have you other suggestions? What project would you find more
useful?

Thanks,
--
Matteo Settenvini