Re: cleaning up keyrings

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 18:23 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the bug links, those are helpful.
>
> Here are some questions I have about conventions for storing stuff in
> the keyring, which would be relevant to the Gossip bug (and future
> similar bug against Pidgin, etc.)
<snip>

I'm not sure anyone's really thought of the conventions behind using
each field for something specific. You'd need to ask Alex, he wrote it
after all :)

> Ideally I think we'd allow Gossip and Pidgin to ask something like
> "give me all XMPP accounts on the keyring," I guess that would use the
> "protocol" field? Would the results be sane if Gossip or Pidgin
> "merged" this resulting list of accounts with their own app-specific
> list of accounts? How should that merge be done? What if you delete an
> account in the app's account manager screen?

Apps would need to agree on what/how to store it. I guess that right
now, it's good enough if the app that inserted the details can read it
back.

> A specific use-case is that if I've already logged in to Google in
> either Firefox or BigBoard, I think Gossip or Pidgin when first
> started up should default to knowing that same account info.

How? I personally log in to google with my personal mail address, don't
have any GMail account, and have a @googlemail.com Jabber address. I'm
not sure how apps are supposed to link all those (and they'd need access
to the cookies, another thing to share, to be able to screenscrape).

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>