Re: GNOME online desktop - (some of the possible) next steps

On 10 Aug 2007, at 17:45, Bryan Clark wrote:

I'll try to put together a mockup or two for a new background chooser
that incorporates this.  Right now my current mockup could be called a
mashup between the background chooser and the screensaver dialog as it
has pieces of both.

I had a quick think about this during the week as well, as Alberto was bugging me :) Trying to keep things as simple as possible, my first attempt was:
http://www.gnome.org/~calum/bg-feed.png

Background images that have come from a feed are just tagged with a little RSS emblem, sorted in with your local background images. Whenever you use a syndicated image as your background, it's cached locally for future use[1], at which point the feed emblem may disappear (or change?) to indicate that it's no longer a transient image that will disappear from the dialog at some point in the future. Tooltip gives you more information about where the image came from:
http://www.gnome.org/~calum/bg-feed-tooltip.png

The new dropdown at the top just offers choices of things like "single background" (the current behaviour), "random from selected", "random from feeds", "random from all backgrounds". The 'random' choices would change your background periodically. No UI for setting the rate of change at the moment, but I'm sure that would be trivial :)

The 'Edit Feeds' button would open whatever centralised feed editor somebody might like to devise...

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] And/or its URL pushed to your online desktop background storage service :)
mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team