Re: GNOME online desktop - (some of the possible) next steps

2007/8/9, Bryan Clark <bclark redhat com>:
Hi ~

(so late... email problems)

In the video I saw of your prototype I believe it makes perfect sense to
simply store the URI of a person's background / theme from the new a.g.o
such that if they logged in from a new machine that setting would be
preserved and restored.

I don't quite understand which URI are you referring to, you mean the http URI?

It seems that there is a lot of interest in adding the subscribing feature to the theme thing, so I would like to dig a bit on it. There two reasonable of use cases that I can think of:

a) John would like to have the themes available at art.gnome.org/gnome-look/whatever in the appareance dialog (backgrounds/themes/fonts?).

b) John likes surprises, john would like its desktop background to change every day/week/moth for the best rated/more popular/random from one of his feeds.

So there are a couple of problems here. First one it's syndication, I would like to centralize the feed syndication as a DBus service, this is easy to achieve, since basically would mean, wrapping Mark Pilgrim's feedparser.py into a DBus service. I think this might be helpful for others applications that want to use other kind of feeds such as podcasts.

On case 'a)', I would ask for "media" feeds to the DBus service, (that would just be a namespace check) and then download the thumnails and I would use those thumnails with an RSS emblem on the appearance

On case 'b)' I would show a checkbox and a combo box on the background tab to allow "surprise me" mode and the frequency (per day, week...).

Open questions:
- Who downloads the media? The control center? Something else? When? I'm open to suggestions.

~ Bryan

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz