Re: Dogfood servers now up

Hi,

Sanford Armstrong wrote:
How does this fit into the grand scheme of the online desktop?  Tomboy
can't be the only app that wants to store real data (not just
configuration data) out there.  I know Mugshot is meant mostly to bind
existing services together, but how is a small free software project
supposed to find the resources to offer a stable and performant web
service to a large number of users?  The answer for the Online Desktop
can't always be "store your data in an existing cool (proprietary)
service".  GNOME is going to have to become a service provider.

I agree, the only way to make service-provider-dependent features usable is to have at least a default provider available, though people can also host their own.

What is your order of magnitude on the size of someone's Tomboy notes?
If they aren't very big then let's just try to get it going now. I can help on the server side if you can point me to some sense of what the data looks like, relevant source code, etc.

Maybe we should also consider a web page to access your notes, which would let you get to them from a random internet kiosk and the like.

For a small quota we can support quite a few users without too much trouble. Think a reasonable hard drive (200G) divided by a 10M quota.

For a larger quota, one way we could approach it is that the server offers you a choice of storage providers. In implementation, this could mean that if I want to be a storage provider I either set up an S3 account or I provide the similar http-like S3 API on my own server - maybe just support sftp. Then users on online.gnome.org (or another instance of the same code) choose the storage provider they want to use.

The server code already has the basic glue to speak WebDAV and forward it to S3, though it isn't enabled through any usable UI.

This is only one possibility, though. We might have better ideas later.

Something to consider, on the server we can store files or we can store database tables. They both have some advantages, with the database tables we can do fine-grained change notification over XMPP and it's easier to support a web view and web editing. With files it's easier to deal with "large" (exact definition fuzzy) data.

Havoc