Re: Generating excitement in GNOME

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 22:14 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:
> Hei John!
>
> Some questions:
>
> - How is this Sneak Peek thing different from what we have now? We can
> always develop experimental things and get feedback from community as
> the things move on. If they are relevant and get enough support, they
> will naturally get into GNOME I guess. Of course there are exceptions.
> :-P

visibility.  See some of my other replys.

> - Is it just a visibility boost for those "cool" modules?

Ya.  People said nothing is happening in GNOME because they only see big
picture stuff.  This excites people into contributing (how many times
have I seen people give up on projects because they said there is no
point if it isn't part of GNOME).   It also pulls all those experimental
stuff under one roof which means more cross pollination of ideas.

> - What would change in practice for the maintainers of the "Sneak Peek" modules?

I think there would be some responsibilities.  What they are we are
trying to figure out.  One thing would be regular updates during or just
after major releases and a willingness to take input from the GNOME
community.

For instance we said absolutely no way is NetworkManager becoming an
accepted API for GNOME until it is cleaned up (it is fine for nm-applet
to use but not an API we support).  Dan was very receptive to that idea
and we eventually want to get NetworkManager as a supported API for apps
to use.  That was an easy discussion because Dan sits right next to me
so we already had that line of communication open.  But that is not
always the case.  This opens that line of communication instead of a
developer popping out of the blue asking us to add his or her project to
the next release and we end up rejecting it because it is just not
ready.  Some developers feel disappointed and we never hear from that
project again.  It is a shock for all parties involved as there were no
lines of communications open before hand.

> - Is there anything blocking them to have better integration with GNOME?

Just that projects developed in a vacuum are developed in isolation.
That is not good for integration.

> I like the general idea of bringing more (structured) visibility to
> those "cool stuff" that have been flowing around[1] GNOME but I think
> I didn't get the point of your idea. Also, some of those softwares
> overlap in functionality so it will be hard to provide something
> usable or consistent from this suite (is it proposed as a suite btw?
> or something like lab projects?)

More like having a central list of these project and explanations.
People can try out the best of the breed in jhbuild or garnome.  D-Bus
(a perennial example I like to use) overlapped with orbit and DCOP.  If
we didn't get the visibility we got, no one would have tried things out.
Of course there were periods of pain where people wanted to rely on it
before it was ready and others had a hard time just getting it to work
but the feedback we got was invaluable and now were are at a point were
no one really remembers those days of changing API and me telling them
tough luck ;)  Ok, so not all projects are going to be like that but it
will give structure to be a catalyst for it.

> As an additional (and necessary) action, what I would like to see is
> objective, practical and focused groups proposing ways/plans/roadmaps
> to integrate those things in GNOME. If we don't do this, those cool
> things will stay in this parallel world forever.

Yes, I think that would be one of the requirements.  To post revised
roadmaps every so often.